STUDYING AT UTC LEEDS – YEAR 12
Our exciting curriculum offer, including employer-led projects and enrichment activities, is designed to give students a well-rounded education to open up the best possible opportunities for future study and career progression.
We equip you with the technical, personal and professional skills that the UK economy needs.
Level 3 (GCE A Levels and Technical Levels) - The Technical Baccalaureate
(The following information relates to our current curriculum offer. If you are interested in a place from September 2019, please refer to our prospectus.)
All our A-level programmes in the sixth form lead to the Technical Baccalaureate, a qualification highly regarded by universities and employers. Students can choose from the two pathways shown below. All students follow a core curriculum in Mathematics and Engineering. Within Engineering, students are able to follow optional units that include: engineering design (mechanical, electrical and electronic), automation control and robotics, systems and programming, engineering and the environment and more. Students opting to study two Engineering Technical Levels will be able to study a wider range of areas in engineering.
All students follow a core curriculum in Mathematics and Engineering:
- The level of mathematics that you study will depend on your GCSE grade in order to ensure we optimise your progression.
- You can choose to study a technical level qualification that is equivalent to one or two A Levels or, if you are following a traditional A Level route to Engineering, you will do upskilling and projects with employers.
You can then personalise your curriculum by studying further A Levels in:
- Further Maths
- Computer Science
- Product Design
- English literature
Combinations can look like this:
Level 3 Core
=1 x A Level equivalent
|+||2 further A Level options||+||EPQ
(Extended Project Qualification)
=2 x A Level equivalent
|+||1 further A Level option||+||EPQ
(Extended Project Qualification)
Students build knowledge and understanding of engineering through...
- Contributing to a series of industry-led 'major projects' in projects teams
- Visiting partner organisations to gain firsthand experience of the engineering world
- Partnering with the engineering faculty at the University of Leeds
- Working with mentors from industry and education
Students develop life skills, independence and knowledge through...
- Building a record of academic and professional growth (RAPG)
- Courses in business enterprise and entrepreneurship, global and environmental awareness
- Leading and taking part in enrichment activities
- Taking part in RE, PCHE, citizenship and sports activities
- Receiving the very best in careers education
Our sixth form enables students to develop the skills that are highly sought after by universities and employers today:
- Creativity and ingenuity
- Enquiry and analysis
- Problem-solving and resilience
- Self-management and organisation
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Technological confidence and technical skills
In supporting your journey to the best grades, UTC Leeds' teachers continuously monitor your progress and adapt your work accordingly. Progress grades are formally assessed and shared with students and parents six times a year. Students' individual programmes are amended on the basis of these reports and additional support provided where necessary.